The MFT Design Team Creative Challenge is a monthly feature, where we are challenged to explore our creative side using a specific theme, product, or technique. This month, we were challenged to create a mini-book. Be sure to check out the MFT Blog for a list of all participating designers who have put their MFT stamps and/or Die-namics dies to work to create a mini book for you today!
I decided to create a Star Book for the creative challenge. There is a fabulous tutorial for star books over on SCS. These books are quite easy to make, but they are a little time consuming.
Here is a shot of the star book from the top.
A couple of photos of the book fully opened.
I used the same supplies through out the project. For card stock I used Red Hot, Whip Cream, So Saffron Textured and Barely Banana Textured. The patterned paper is all from My Mind's Eye, On the Sunny Side. The ribbon is MFT's Red Hot.
This is the front page of the star book. Instead of using mat board like the tutorial suggests, I just used card stock. The large hearts were cut with the Layered Hearts Die-namics. I stamped the sentiment on a flag created with the Fishtail Flags STAX Die-namics. The sentiment comes from the All Smiles stamp set. The daisy was created with the Upsy Daisy Die-namics.
The first two pages of the star book.
I used the Hearts a Plenty Die-namics dies to cut the hearts. The button was created with the Button Quartet Die-namics die, it was secured to the card stock with some Shore Twine. I love using the Button Quartet Die-namics for projects like this. It is perfect for when you want to use a button but you don't want the bulk of a button.
This set of pages features a sentiment from the Clearly Sentimental about Friendship stamp set. I stamped the sentiment on a panel cut with the Vertical Greetings Die-namics. I added a few hearts from the Hearts a Plenty Die-namcis and another button from the Button Quartet Die-namics.
This set of pages features a couple of sentiments from the Sew Nifty stamp set.
The next page includes another heart cut with the Hearts a Plenty Die-namics. I used the Divine Swirl embossing folder to give the heart a little extra texture. I stamped a couple of images from the Sew Nifty stamp set using Real Red ink. I wrapped a little bit of Shore twine around the thread spool.
This next set of pages features a few more Fishtail Flags STAX Die-namics. The Sentiment is from the Clearly Sentimental about Friendship stamp set. The hearts are from the Homespun Birdhouse Die-namics. This heart is just slightly bigger than the medium one in the Hearts a Plenty Die-namics.
I stitched along the center of the three hearts. I have seen this design used a lot lately and I really love the look!
The next set of pages features a few more images from the Sew Nifty stamp set and a few more hearts.
The sewing machine was stamped in So Saffron ink, the measuring tape was stamped in Real Red ink. Both images were then hand cut. The sweet little thimble is one of the charm dies in the Sew Nifty Die-namics. I cut off the top edge of the thimble as I didn't want to use it as a charm.
This next set of pages features another sentiment from the Clearly Sentimental about Friendship stamp set. It was stamped on a panel cut with the Vertical Greetings Die-namics. I finished it off with a few more daisies from the Upsy Daisy Die-namics.
The back cover features one of my all time favorite sentiment stamps from MFT. This sentiment comes from the First Class Friend stamp set. It is such a beautiful and heartfelt sentiment. I just LOVE it! I stamped it on a panel cut with the Clearly Sentimental Label Die-namics. I added a couple more Fishtail Flags and another heart, button combo.
I created a tag to go with the star book using the same papers, stamps and Die-namics that I used in the star book.
I cut the tag with the Traditional Tags STAX Die-namics. I used a sentiment from the Clearly Sentimental about Friendship stamp set. I added a touch of Red Hot Ribbon and Shore Twine to the top of the tag. The yummy button is from MFT's Banana Split button collection.
I was originally going to place the book in a small wrapped box, but when I went searching through my stash I found this white card tin. It was the perfect size for the book. I added a piece of Barely Banana Textured card stock to the front of the tin. A little stitching, the tag, and an extra daisy was all that was needed to dress it up.